The trend of individuals and families renting self-storage units continues strong with lack of space at the current living site being at the top of the list of reasons for the need for extra space. And, when you look at what items are being place in self-storage, appliances rank #2 on that list, just behind furniture. In this article, we’ll discuss how to store kitchen appliances to keep them safe and in good working order!
If you are moving out of a house or apartment and have appliances you need to put in storage for a bit, we have some helpful tips on how to properly prepare your items for storage. And, we have the space to store your appliances too!
Your appliances storage may be short term or long term, but in either case, it is important to properly prepare each item for storage.
How To Store Kitchen Appliances:
This kitchen appliance is probably the most important one to follow directions for storage to ensure it is protected and properly operates when you are ready to install it again in your next living quarters.
- DRAIN WATER Be sure to drain all liquid from the fridge, which includes the icemaker and water supply lines. Defrost the freezer a few days before moving it into storage. Allow ample time for all parts to dry before transporting to the storage unit
- CLEAN THE APPLIANCE. To prevent mildew and unwanted bugs, be sure to thoroughly clean the refrigerator top to bottom, including the vegetable trays and drawers. Also remove the defrost pan to clean those pieces. Cleaning all the parts and pieces ensures the prevention of mildew over time.
- TRANSPORTING APPLIANCE TO STORAGE. Make sure the fridge is in an upright position and covered with a tarp or blanket when transporting to the storage unit. Secure the doors shut. Once in the storage unit, prop the doors open to allow ventilation or remove the doors. It is a good idea to place the unit against a side or back wall in the storage unit.
How To Store A Dishwasher
Clean the Unit. to make sure there are no food particles inside the unit. Clean the inside thoroughly or run a regular wash cycle. After cleaning, open the door to let dry completely before moving to storage.
Hoses & Cords. After cleaning the connector hoses, place them inside the dishwasher. Secure the electrical cord to the side or back of the unit with tape for safe storage.
How To Store Kitchen Appliances:
- Clean the Unit: Use oven cleaner and range cleaner as well as stovetop cleaner to remove any food debris from inside and on top of stove.
- Disconnecting Unit: For an electric stove, simply unplug the unit and secure the cord to the side or back of the unit with tape. For a gas unit, if you are unsure of how to turn off the gas supply and unhooking the gas line connection, confer with a professional before doing this step.
- Transporting Unit: You might want to cover the knobs on the unit with painter’s tape, which protects from scratching and won’t leave any residue when removing the tape. Cover the stove with a blanket for transporting and in storage.
How To Storage Kitchen Appliances check list:
You might consider a climate-controlled storage unit for kitchen appliances. In addition to the appliance units themselves, be sure to take special care of any glass shelves and other fragile parts. Wrap and store these separately in the storage unit. Do not stack heavy items or boxes on top of these fragile items. Macho Self Storage locations have a convenient supply of boxes, tape, and other items need to help protect and store your appliances.
- Make a list of appliances you are putting in storage. You might even include a photo of each item.
- Clean all your appliances.
- Remove water from hoses and units.
- Secure cords and hoses. Cover appliances while transporting and in storage.
- Pack and store appliances carefully.
- Prop doors open on the appliance while in storage.
- Rent a climate-controlled unit if preferred.
- Confer with a professional if assistance is need to disconnect gas appliances
- Transport appliances in upright position.
- It’s a good idea to raise each appliance off the ground with pallets, if possible.
We have solutions for all your kitchen appliances storage needs. Find a convenient north Texas area Macho Self Storage near you!